Healthy Holiday Hoopla: Staff Fitness Challenge
Healthy Holiday Hoopla…Here We Go!
Teams will begin earning healthy living points starting Tuesday, December 1st through Tuesday, December 29. Each staff member is encouraged to move their body for 30 minutes each day to earn one challenge point. This can be walking, running, biking, swimming, dancing, taking a class, you name it! Additional points can be earned by completing the Y, Nutrition, and Wellness challenges each week. Each challenge is each worth one additional point. Staff have the potential to earn 10 points each week for their team by getting 30 minutes of daily exercise and completing each of the weekly challenges.
Y Challenge – Fitness is more fun with friends! When you are surrounded by other people (virtually or in-person) you push yourself to new limits and work harder. Take a group exercise class at any of our YMCA of Metro North branches this week. Don’t forget to sign-up 48 hours in advance to reserve your spot.
Nutrition Challenge – Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink at least 8 glasses (64 oz) of water for at least two days to cleanse your body this week.
Wellness Challenge – Rest up! Try to get 8 hours of sleep every night this week. Earn a point if you can get three nights of 8 or more hours.
Y Challenge– Step out of your comfort zone. One day this week snag a workout at one of our YMN branches that you don’t typically workout at. Maybe a walk around the Peabody track, swim in the Melrose pool, Pickleball in Lynn, or try TRX in Saugus. Explore all YMN has to offer!
Nutrition Challenge– Eliminate your drink of choice for 2 days. Coffee, soda, alcohol, energy drinks…whatever your liquid vice is, let it go for 2 days this week. (you only HAVE to pick one but you can TRY to ditch all three.)
Wellness Challenge– Calm your mind and destress. Meditation has proven benefits reducing anxiety and calming the body and mind. Take a break and meditate for 5-10 minutes 3 days this week.
Y Challenge –Swim, bike, run – oh what fun! It’s TRYathalon week at the YMCA of Metro North. Your Y challenge this week is to try 30 minutes of either swimming, biking, or running. Bonus point if you complete all three activities during the week!
Nutrition Challenge – Get your greens in! Eat 5 servings of veggies (2 cups) for two days.
Wellness Challenge – Get your vitamin D! Did you know that vitamin D can help strengthen your immune system and fight off viruses? Soak up the sun this week and get outside for at least 30 minutes 3 days.
Y Challenge – Take a deep breath and relax – it’s mind/body week! Try a Yoga class this week at one of our YMCA of Metro North branches. Take the time out from your busy schedule to reward yourself with relaxation and stretching that will leave you in a better headspace during what can be a crazy week. Don’t forget to register 48 hours in advance!
Nutrition Challenge – No more sweet stuff! We know it’s a holiday week and likely a time to indulge in your favorite goodies. We ask that you pick just two days to go without any desserts this week to earn a point.
Wellness Challenge – Practice gratitude. A healthy mind leads to a healthy body. Take some time to journal about the things you are grateful for. As we close the door on 2020, reflect on the positive things that happened this year and write them down. Spend 30 minutes journaling, you can spread this time out by doing a shorter journaling exercise each day or tackle it all at once.
The Fine Print
- Staff cannot earn points while being paid to workout. Health & Wellness staff cannot count classes they teach at the Y towards their daily movement point.
- Your Y Challenge point can also count as your daily movement point each week.
- All points need to be submitted via the web form on Monday night for the previous week (Tue-Mon). Any forms submitted late will not be counted towards your point balance.
- Honesty is the best policy. Please be honest about your point tracking.
- Have fun! Yes we are competing as part of different teams, but really we are competing against ourselves to live a healthier life.
- Vacation time for prize winners must be redeemed by March 31, 2021.
- The team to achieve the highest point score overall will each receive two paid days off in 2021.
- Each individual to complete the challenge with a perfect score (40 pts) will receive one extra paid day or shift off in 2021.
- Each week there will be a raffle prize that will give everyone a chance to win awesome prizes like gift cards and Y Swag.