Livestrong at the YMCA
A top concern among cancer survivors is returning to physical activity after treatment. The Y is here to help. The YMCA of Metro North is proud to offer the Livestrong at the Y program across our locations in Lynn, Melrose, Saugus, and Peabody/Lynnfield.
Livestrong at the YMCA is a wellness program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis. The Y creates a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships, and improve their quality of life.
This 12-week program focuses on physical activity and social connections that have been proven to help decrease fatigue after treatment and increase energy and overall quality of life. Survivors participate in free customized exercise regimens catered to their individual needs from certified fitness instructors. Our instructors are trained in cancer survivorship, post-rehabilitation exercise and supportive cancer care. Survivors and their families receive a membership at the YMCA for the duration of the program.
Livestrong programs have restarted! Submit an inquiry below to learn more about enrolling in the program at one of our YMCA of Metro North branches.
NOW ENROLLING for sessions in 2023
- 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week.
- Sessions are hosted in small group, supportive environments and facilitated by YMCA-certified instructors.
- Each session includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance and flexibility exercises.
- Pre and post-participation evaluations to include functional and quality of life assessments.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA has been proven to:
- Help survivors meet or exceed the recommended amount of physical activity.
- Help survivors significantly increase their cardiovascular endurance.
- Improve cancer survivors’ overall quality of life and decrease their cancer-related fatigue
- High levels of satisfaction.
- Strong connections with other group members.
- Plans to continue exercise after the program.
- 20% off the cost of a YMCA membership for Livestrong alumni after program completion.
- The Livestrong Foundation has been partnered with YMCA’s nationwide since 2007.
- More than 76,952 cancer survivors enrolled.
- Over 631 YMCA branches offer Livestrong across the country.
- Livestrong is available at the YMCA to cancer survivors in 42 states.
Livestrong is available to any adult 18 years or older who is living with or beyond cancer treatment.
Livestrong at the YMCA is a free program for adults 18 years or older who is living with or beyond cancer treatment. LIVESTRONG participants and their caretaker also receive a full 12-week membership to the YMCA of Metro North.
LiveStrong Inquiry Form
Thank you for your interest in Livestrong at the YMCA of Metro North. Please complete the form and a member of our Health & Wellness team will be in touch with you soon.
Each year the YMCA of Metro North and the Torigian Family YMCA host our annual Livestrong at the Y road race to support the Livestrong program and help cancer survivors get back on their feet after treatment. This race is an excellent opportunity for walkers looking to support a great cause, or runners trying to test their endurance and complete their first half marathon.
Livestrong at the YMCA is generously supported by the Boston North Cancer Association.