National Diaper Need Awareness Week
This September 21- 27th, join us as we participate in National Diaper Need Awareness Week, which draws attention to the issue of diaper need in the U.S.
To raise awareness, the Y will be giving away 100 Diaper Swag Bags to Lynn families including diapers, plus baby & health essentials all thanks to Tufts Health Plan! Two lucky winners will win a DIAPER CAKE filled with hundreds of diapers as well as baby essentials.
We are also partnering with the United Way’s DRIVE Program, which will give parents and caregivers an opportunity to receive free developmental screenings for their children. Parents can learn more about their child’s milestones, and then receive information about support services based on their child’s unique needs.
Did you know?
- 1 in 3 families do not have enough diapers and wipes for their children.
- Disposable diapers can cost $70 to $80 per month per baby.
- WIC and S.N.A.P programs do not allow for diaper and wipe purchases.
- During COVID-19, families who used to be able to afford diapers are struggling to secure basic necessities.
How to Get Involved
- Join our Week-long Facebook Event
- Volunteer at the Little Necessities Pantry at the Lynn YMCA
- Request proclamations from elected officials
- Engage on social media via #EndDiaperNeed and #BasicsArentBasic and Tag @YMCAofMetroNorth
- Donate unopened formula, diapers, or wipes at the Lynn YMCA during the week of September 21st-27th!
- Host a Diaper Drive with your community or neighborhood
- Are you having a baby shower? Ask guests to consider donating a box in your baby’s name!
- Make a financial donation to our YMCA Community Emergency Fund
- Requests for Swag Bags are closed at this time as we have exceeded the amount of requests we can fulfill.
- You can put your name on the waitlist for diapers through the Little Necessities Pantry.
About the Little Necessities Pantry
In March of 2020, due to enormous need caused by the COVID19 Pandemic, the Y began collecting unopened packages of formula, diapers, and wipes to be distributed to those in need in our communities through the Little Necessities Pantry. Since the COVID-19 crisis began, $20,000 worth of necessities have been distributed for free to families. Thank you to Tufts Health Plan for their generous sponsorship of the Little Necessities Pantry!
About the United Way’s Drive Program