Enhance®Fitness is geared toward older adults of all fitness levels. If you have a chronic condition, such as arthritis, you may be able to gain more strength and independence. You will feel energized physically, mentally and socially- and be surrounded by people who care about your success. Enhance®Fitness has been nationally recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, US Administration on Aging and the National Council on Aging.
Research has shown that among older adults who participate in EnhanceFitness, health costs were lowered by close to $1,000 and 9 out of 10 people stay with the program. In addition, 99 percent say they’d recommend the program to a friend.
- Classes will be held in the Mind and Body Studio at the Torigian Family YMCA and the Fitness Center at the Melrose Family YMCA.
- Participants can take the class seated or standing depending on comfort
- Class will meet Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11:30am at the Torigian Family YMCA or Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9:45am at the Melrose Family YMCA.
- The exercises are dynamic but can be done at your pace
- Up to 25 people in each class: we provide chairs and soft weights
- Class meets 3 times per week and focuses on flexibility, balance, strength and movement
- Fitness assessment at beginning and every 4 month
What you can expect:
- Some people will be standing, some will be seated—and some will use the chairs to hold onto for support.
- You’ll notice that participants move at a pace that’s comfortable for them.
- You’ll make friends who will support you and cheer you on.
- More energy
- Better balance
- Increases in upper body and lower body strength
- More flexibility and range of motion
- Better sleep
- More feelings of happiness
- Sense of independence